Post Operative Care
When you leave the clinic:
- Go directly home, put a cold pack on for at least 3 days
- Put your feet up and rest – 3 days minimum
- Try not to stand or walk for long periods
- Wear supportive underwear for the next week
- Wear a dry dressing over the wound until it has healed
- Sport, including swimming, must be avoided for 2 weeks
The local aesthetic will wear off after a few hours. A mild painkiller such as paracetamol will relieve any discomfort you might experience.
Swelling and bruising:
Some men experience mild swelling and discomfort after the procedure. This can be relieved with an ice pack (a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel works well). Excessive swelling is always abnormal – please contact us if this happens. Most men have bruising of the scrotal area that can spread to the base of the penis and groin area. This is normal and will take a few days to start clearing.
The incision is very small and dissolvable stitches are use. it will heal within a few days. The wound will take between 7-10 days to heal fully. It is very important to keep the area clean and dry. Please do not apply any cream, powder or other antiseptic solutions. ONLY clean with surgical alcohol.
Back to work:
Most men go back to work within 4 to 5 days. If you do hard physical work, please discuss this with the clinic personnel.
You can resume sexual activity within 10 days after the procedure. It is advisable to wait a few days until most of the discomfort has worn off. Please keep in mind that you are not sterile directly after the procedure and need to continue using a safe contraceptive method until both the semen analysis are negative.
Blood in the semen:
Blood as a brown discharge, can be present in the semen. This can happen directly after the procedure or appear after a few days.
A few complications can present themselves after the vasectomy. Please be on the lookout for any of the following and contact us immediately:
- Inflammation and redness of the wound
- Bleeding from the wound
- Abnormal swelling, tenderness or pain
- Elevated temperature of flu-like symptoms
The Semen Analysis
- It takes your body 6 to 12 weeks to excrete all live sperm (approximately 20 ejaculations).
- Abstain from sexual contact for 3 days before you collect your semen sample.
- Please ejaculate directly into the container – do not use a condom.
- The sample must be delivered to our clinic on the same day, before 12:00 to ensure it reaches the laboratory on time. Samples are not accepted on Fridays.
- Wait 2 weeks and then bring the second sample.
- We insist on having two negative seen analyses before declaring the procedure a success.
- Cost of the semen analysis is included in the cost of the vasectomy.